Wednesday 11 January 2012

Learning My Lessons

Often referred to as the Lone Gunman, the Devil from the pits of Hades, I am now a fourth year undergrad studying at local university; University Brunei Darussalam. Currently studying my major in English Language Studies with Sociology-Anthropology as my minor. Being in this university close to four years now, all that I gained is [sic] a maelstrom of bittersweet learning experience, most of which are nonetheless beneficial to me in the long run as a student, a person and a human man.

So far, I have learned quite a few substantial lessons that are useful for survival as an undergrad. Learning from different lecturers also meant that I get to understand how each person differs in their methods of teaching. This is of course not limited to them tutors and teaching staffs, but us as students as well. With this, I slowly began to grasp the importance of teamwork and cooperation. Slacking off is not an option when you are in a team. Despite the fact I've always preferred to work on my own in the past (especially during high school years, where misanthropy permeated me the most), being actually involved with people's thoughts and differing opinions are something that excited me nonetheless. At first I tend to say opinions are like a**hole; everybody has one but after spending sometimes at this seemingly colorful institution, I might as well disagree.

I beg to differ but my interest has always been revolved around arts (especially music, paintings as well as performing arts; acting). I once joined Fonemik Club for two semesters in my first year but it did not benefit me so much. My passion for drums and extreme music was [sic] not very well received among the locals here in the campus, let alone the Bruneian community as a whole. Most of them lot are poseur and untrue. They have the talent but lacking in esoteric understanding and passion. Therefore, I decided to quit the said music club and continue to focus on English as my major, learning all sorts of things that are both interesting and excruciating at the same time. I often see myself as an average student who are good at certain things and worst on others. How do I maintain this equilibrium of irony I do not know, neither do I intend to find out any sooner. Letting things go the way they are seems to be a good idea. Certainly I have difficulties when it comes to phonetics and phonology. Nevertheless, media - related studies are something that I truly enjoyed for most of the times.

The leaves are falling to the ground, withered and dying. Soon, they will all be swept away by the wind, being carried far across the void of our memories. This is what happened to our campus; new buildings springing up along with the money that flows beneath the caverns below but the existing facilities are sadly neglected. There has been rumors about a girl student got raped by two men at The Core (like an apple; always rotten at the core!) but until now, people said campus admin covered it up so as to keep up with UBD's seemingly good reputation. Last year we got thieves stealing projectors, some iPad and a few laptops. Who were the perpetrators? Some dudes working with Setia Protective Security Guard and ABMS janitors (exact number of bandits are still not clear; could be a few of them). Plus, an encounter with two rude UNIBRIDGE bastards by the name Mohamad Safrizan bin Morsidi (01-035904) and Izzul bin Haji Zakaria (studying BA in Politics and International Relations) respectively. Elitist attitude and rivalry between T.E.S.L. and ELS students, scandalous student and tutor; all this added some more pages in my diary as an undergrad at UBD. Not to mention some paranormal encounter during the last few days during revision week.

...till then...

3 comments:

  1. An interesting reflection on life at UBD! But you'd better tell me who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I am 08B3109. I shall remain anonymous on the net hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, that's fine. You should be able to restrict access to your blog, so it is not accessible to the general public; but never mind.

    ReplyDelete